This is a 5-stage system proposed by Marshall and Tanner in 1969 for grading female breast and pubic hair development.
Tanner staging of Breast Development
- Elevation of papilla only (pre-pubertal breast)
- Breast budding
- Enlargement of breast without areola separation/elevation
- Formation of secondary mound by areola
- Mature breast: areola regresses to form single contour of breast, only papilla remains projected.
Tanner staging of Pubic Hair Development
- No pubic hair
- Scattered labial hair
- Hair reaches the mons pubis
- Slight lateral spread
- Hair spreads to medial aspects of the thigh.
Tanner staging of Axillary Hair Development
- No hair
- Some hair present but growth is incomplete
- Fully developed hair.